:insert something clever:

Friday, August 18, 2006

From the Green Mountains

Hello everyone! I'm in Vermont and it's lovely here. I arrived Wednesday afternoon and we leave tomorrow morning for family vacation on the shore of Lake Erie until Joel and I get dropped off at the airport in Buffalo, NY. He'll be headed straight to Italy and I'll be coming back home to Norman.

It's always so wonderful to come here. It is normally when I haven't seen Joel for an extended period of time and before the trip anticipation gets to build up. And then he picks me up at the airport and we hug and stare into each other's eyes for what seems like some combination of forever and only a fraction of a second, for it's never long enough. Eventually we slowly wander off to find my luggage and then drive the two and a half hours back to Essex Junction, USA.

This time we decided to see the sunset over Lake Champlain...but we got to the shore right after the sun had dipped behind the mountains. The sky was still beautiful hues of purple and orange so we found a swing and conversed and enjoyed the long-missed company of each other. When all of the hues were gone leaving only a dark yet starlit sky, and when the mosquitos were getting a bit too annoying, we left the lakeshore and meandered back towards Church Street.--This is a lovely little strip in Burlington of quaint stores, coffeshops, etc where the street has been blocked off to cars permanently and there are outdoor portions to all of the restaurants and street performers and vendors and lots of people.--Unfortunately we had stayed just long enough at the lake that everything was closed or closing, even the hippy-esque tea shop "Muddy Waters" that Joel had wanted me to experience.

So, back to Essex Junction and home of the Pastors to find out in which bed I would sleep and what was in store for the following day. The bed was nice. It was the first time I've had a bed to sleep on in the last few weeks. As comfortable as couches can be, beds are better.

There's a synopsis of day one. It's day three now, and a lot happened day two as well, included dinner cooked by none other than Joel and myself, but I think I'm going to see what productivity I can get in on and post more another time. Have a lovely day!

1 Comments:

  • At Sun Aug 20, 08:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cheerio! For starters, a point in re conflation: there are two hippy-esque shops - one is a tea shop called 'Dobra', the other a coffee shop called 'Muddy Waters' - although really everywhere on Church Street is more or less run by what appear to be hippies, or perhaps there's just one of them who gets around a lot and changes his clothes several times per diem. Or not. Lovely post - downright lyrical. Nice.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home