:insert something clever:

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Names

So, what's in a name?

Here in Spain, many people have four names, though some only have three, but the structure is different than in the U.S. They have one or two first names, neither of which is quite like our middle name, and then two last names. The first last name is that of their father and the other that of their mother. And, women do not change their last name when they get married, at least no one that I've met so far(though I haven't asked at my church, it might be different there...). When asking my host mom about this she got rather upset and asked why would she want to change her last name to Rokiski? She's not a Rokiski; she's a Belles Fortuno (forgive the lack of accents). "And the children? The father's last name? What about the mother's? That's very very misogynous, isn't it?"

One of many conversations lately that has shown me some of the differences between our cultures... And I think she doesn't think too much of me, at least in reference to any sort of world view or the like... She gets frustrated that I don't know much of anything about politics and the like. We watched La Vita e Bella the other day and afterwards she said, "You know somewhere where lots of people are dying senselessly nowadays? In Iraq. Doesn't anyone in the US say anything about it? Do the churches do anything like protest, or write to the government to change things?" To say the least, the majority of the people over here are really quite upset with American politics. I don't know how to respond. I don't really know anything about politics... I know my president's name, I know that there's war going on... Much more than that and I just shrug my shoulders. I should probably try to read up and expand my knowledge base in that area....but where do I start? And who do I listen to?

Anyway...I also learned that the dating/engagement/marriage process isn't the same here either. So, after explaining how it goes for us, I think I'll be asked a little bit less about when I'm going to get married. As that was getting to be rather frustrating, this change is a good thing.

Christmas plans aren't going as smoothly as originally anticipated, so be praying for wisdom in that area for me if you think about it. But, it looks like Venice will be added to the list of places I'll be going... That sounds fun. :-)

I made bread/cake today! We have a crate full of oranges so I've been searching for orange recipes and foound one for orange honey muffins. Lacking muffin pans it became more like a sweet bread..almost cake. Tasty and it made the house smell nice. Yay for baking!

5 Comments:

  • At Sat Dec 09, 07:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think you ought to beat them at their own game by being fashionably disaffected with the whole political game. This not only has the advantage of being not entirely innaccurate - politics aren't half so important as our age would like to believe - but it's way trendy.

     
  • At Sun Dec 10, 03:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    En España la Ley permite que los padres puedan optar por poner el apellido materno en primer lugar, en vez del paterno como es la costumbre. Es una decisión de los padres optar por uno u otro apellido. Creo por tanto que la legislación española no es misógina en absoluto, pienso que es más misógino que la mujer pierda su apellido al casarse pues parece que la herencia familiar materna desaparezca con las mujeres prevaleciendo solo la de los hombres.

     
  • At Tue Dec 12, 05:00:00 AM, Blogger Jenny said…

    Creo que veo el punto. Es que el cambio del nombre de la mujer a ello del esposo es algo muy especial con creando una familia nueva...con solo un nombre. La mujer puede conservar su apellido en forma de cambiar o añadirlo en forma de "middle name", como mi abuela, Martha Hubbard Thomason, con Hubbard como su apellido antes de se ha casado.

     
  • At Tue Dec 12, 05:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Political game!!!??? Do you really think politics is a game? I'm getting kind of worried about it then. Knowing about Politics should mean being socially concerned and knowing what's going on in your own country. Trendy matters should be related to fashion not to politics!

     
  • At Wed Dec 13, 09:50:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    But of course it's a game. Although I ought to confess that the previous comment was written in languid irony - one should do things because they are right, not because they are popular. Every four year old knows this.

    However, that does not alter the absurdity of modern politics in the slightest. A government has neither the capacity nor the intelligence to do things of ultimate significance, and the sooner our governments quit trying the better. The only thing worse than corrupt religion is secular religion, because the first can be reformed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home